The National Headquarters of the Labour Party has described as untrue, malicious and cheap propaganda, reports making the rounds that the Party has collapsed in the South-West States of the Country.
In a Statement by the
National Publicity Secretary of the Party – Dr. Arabambi Abayomi, the Party noted that the alleged meeting where the such pronouncement was made was chaired by an expelled Member of the Party in Ekiti State.
The statement read:
“The attention of the Labour Party in Nigeria especially has been drawn to a purported meeting/defection held at Adegbemile hall, Akure, today Monday 13th February 2023 at noon
“The meeting attended by about a few dozen people alleged that the entire Southwest Labour Party has been merged with the All Progressive Congress (APC) with effect from today. As expected, the meeting was chaired by an expelled Labour Party member, Mr. Banji Omotoso, who was the then caretaker state chairman in Ekiti state from 2017 to 2019
The Labour party here by states as follows:
1. That the labour party of Nigeria in the Southwest and entire Nigeria remains one and an indivisible party.
2. That the entire Labour Party of Nigeria has never at anytime and will under no circumstances ever think of merging with any other Party, not even the All Progressives Congress (APC) that has brought untold hardship and suffering to the entire nation.
3. That the so-called Southwest Coordinator, Mr. Banji Omotoso was an expelled member of the party, who since January 2020 has ceased to have anything whatsoever to do with our great Party.
4. That the said Mr. Banji Omotoso was expelled for gross malfeasance and anti-party activities. Therefore he has no authority from any quarters to speak for or on behalf of the Labour Party in South West
5 That Labour party highest office holder in the party structures nationally is the Deputy National Chairman South of the party and number 2 person to the National Chairman remains Alhaji Lamidi Apapa from Oyo State with others :
Bar AKINGBADE OYELEKAN ( National Legal adviser OSUN STATE )
Dr AYO OLORUNFEMI ( DEPUTY NATIONAL CHAIRMAN from ONDO STATE)
MR ROLAND GBENGA DARAMOLA ( National Financial Secretary from EKITI STATE)
DR ARABAMBI ABAYOMI ( NATIONAL PUBLICITY SECRETARY from OGUN STATE)
5. That we strongly make it clear to the general public and well-meaning long-suffering citizens of Nigeria to disregard any information from the said Mr. Banji Omotoso who has since ceased to be our member (LABOUR PARTY).
DR ARABAMBI ABAYOMI
NATIONAL PUBLICITY SECRETARY